Monday, April 27, 2009

Prepare to be dazzled!

This my friends, is my little patch of heaven, err, i mean, dirt:
Photobucket

Ain't it lovely?
I think its purty, but I'm kinda partial.lol

I don't know what these are, but they are pretty. They are just starting to pop through, in about a month, they will be as tall as our back window:
Photobucket

This is the ground cover near the shed. Im not a fan of it, but Klaire likes the purple flowers. I dont think we'll keep it much longer though:
Photobucket

Please excuse my sausage fingers. I can thank my dad for those bad boys.
These are the 2 varieties of Lavender we have. I LOVE them! So fragrant, and they flower so nicely. I dont know thier names, all i know is that they are tough because i havent killed them yet:
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a bulb we picked up at the farmers market. Dont know what its called, but its pretty:
Photobucket

This next plant, oh my, it has issues.
Its supposed to be a fall blooming plant. But Kreg and i planted it at the wrong time, so now its all messed up. The poor thing. But when it figures things out, it sure is purty. We are bad plant parents, its all confused because of us. Trial and error people, you think im kidding? This is proof:

Photobucket

Back in 2005, when we bought our place this area was filled with weeds and lava rocks. Our HOA president "suggested" to fill it in with gravel or cement. Kreg and i played with the idea for about 2.8 seconds, but then decided to try to grow plants in there. My mom brought over a bag of manure and contributed a few little flowers the first year.

The next summer, while at the farmers market, Kreg and i found some crocus varieties and tulip bulbs we fell in love with. Not knowing much about what to do with them, he buried them in the ground, figuring either they'll grow or die.lol

Well, they've most definitely grown. Some bloom when thier not supposed to, some look different than what we thought they would. But oh well, right?

Now, this year i have great and wonderful plans for my little patch of dirt. Seeing as how we don't have a yard, i have to make the most of this area and the patio i have.

~My plan~
*Transplant the lavender plants into their own wooden whiskey barrels.
*Transplant the bulbs into one barrel as well.
*Move the Lavender and flower bulbs onto the patio for the pretty factor.

In the empty rectangle of dirt ill plant:
*1-2 tomato plants
*2 pea plants, we will have them climb up the side of the shed using a homemade trellis.
*If we have the space, ill probably put in some carrots as well.

On the patio we will get another 2-3 more whiskey barrels and put some cukes, zucchini, and maybe a pumpkin in them. I just want to plant whatever strikes my fancy for now, i don't know what will grow and what wont, so it'll take some trial and error. Ill have to figure out what gets the best sunlight and what plants will do best where. Im so excited to get this project underway finally!

The last year or so I've felt and intense desire to plant and harvest our own food, or as much as we can. I miss having a yard for Klaire to play in and to plant my own food in. I miss it so bad. But we will get there soon.

So look forward to many more posts on how the plants are doing and the successes and failures to be had! My eventual goal will be to have a garden year around that will be able to sustain the three of us.






No comments: